chris & amy's story...so far
After entering into an MLH preliminary agreement, Amy and Chris have now signed their building contract and are looking forward to seeing their new custom Martin Locke Home come to life.
Amy and Chris's contract was signed during COVID-19 restrictions
But how and why did they reach a decision to entrust the MLH team to build their dream home?
They've been so kind as to share their experience of our preliminary process and why they believe Martin Locke Homes measures up to their expectations.
WHAT IS THE MLH PRELIMINARY PROCESS?
How does it feel to have signed a contract to build your new home?
Amy - This is my first home so I am really excited! We're really keen to see it get underway now and watch it come to life.
How would you describe the MLH preliminary process and design phase?
Amy - It was really detailed which was great for us. The other thing that I really found beneficial, because we had spoken to a couple of other builders, was that we got some really good constructive feedback on our ideas from the MLH team.
So things that we thought we wanted in our home, we were given alternate options for so that we could make the best decision with the right information.
Why were you happy to enter the preliminary process with MLH which does include a fee?
Amy - I wasn't too fussed because through the research I did Martin Locke Homes kept coming back as being one that got a lot of really good feedback, I didn't see anything negative.
When we looked at the display homes and saw the pictures online of the finishes we were pretty positive that we'd end up with something of great quality and that we liked. So I guess for me, I'd pretty much decided before we even paid the preliminary fee (laughs) so it was more about getting Chris on board and taking him through that process.
With our first meeting they showed us a design which we were like 'yeah that's pretty much our house' and then it just built from there. So after that first design meeting we were like 'Yeah OK, we're in'.
Chris - I was more undecided in the beginning but I have been really happy with the process which also allowed us to get to know the MLH team and what they're about.
What are your favourite features of your new home design?
Chris - I like the patio design, the air will flow right through those big doors and into the our home.
Amy - It's a very open design and the dogs can also be nice and close to the family room as well, but still be outside.
Where have you decided to build?
Did you find the MLH accessible, no-step design features important in your decision?
Amy - Yes, we really liked the no-step element and also the sizes of the halls and the doors, particularly We have experienced having someone with injuries and surgeries and being in a wheelchair during recovery form those surgeries, so being prepared for something like that was really important to us. And it makes it feel nice and spacious to live in as well.
How are you feeling about the building process? Nervous? Excited?
Amy - We're just excited to get underway. My dad was a builder so I spent my life growing up on building sites so I kind of know what it looks like and how it all comes together in the end. But this time it's finally my house! We can't wait.
Work directly with Martin
As a small team dedicated to producing the best possible result for our clients every time, you will deal directly with our Builder Martin, even before you have signed a construction contract.
Having the Builder involved from the 'new home design stage' ensures the 'build stage' is seamless and, we believe, produces the best outcomes for your home.
As our construction schedule is often booked out in advance, our preliminary process is key to allowing access to and availability of Martin and our expert Design Team to those home builders who are seriously considering building with MLH.
Preliminary Process Includes:
- Client engages MLH in a Preliminary Agreement for a fee (dependent on the specific scale and requirements of your home)
- The fee covers the time and expertise invested during this process however it is purely a cost recovery, THE FULL FEE WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM YOUR FIXED PRICE should you choose to proceed to 'build stage' with Martin Locke Homes.
- You will work with the New Home Design Team to finalise your design. Whether you have sketches you have worked on, or nothing at all, we have a process that is guaranteed* to ensure your Dream Home is personalised to YOUR needs and preferences.
- Once the floor plan and elevations are finalised, we can then prepare the formal Presentation, which includes:
- Fully detailed floor, elevation, electrical, floor finish and external plans,
- Full plumbing and electrical appliance presentations
- We perform a site visit of your land, and provide a marked-up site plan, which allows us to ensure all site elements and neighbouring properties are considered
- Full 3D and elevation custom joinery plans
- Soil test and wind classification of your block of land
- Detailed specifications, listing every item included line-by-line
- Fixed-price guarantee to build your home
If after the presentation, when you have received all the information needed to make an informed decision along with a fixed price to build your home, for whatever reason you chose not to build your home with MLH, we will allow you to keep the plans and take elsewhere.
*Guarantee: If at any stage during the New Home Design Stage and prior to starting the Pricing Stage of your home, you are not happy with the design our team has come up with or not satisfied with the service you've received in any way, we will refund the full amount of the Preliminary Agreement, no questions asked.